A follow up to the previous post.
Another idea was proposed in the CIC Discord after I developed the prototype. An ongoing feature of the Wing Commander series are in-cockpit VDUs (Visual Display Units.) Essentially, they are small computer monitors inside your in-game cockpit that are used to give vital information to help you navigate the game and quickly access options while in combat. They might contain a systems damage readout, information on an enemy target, navigational data, or a short animation of your wing man’s communication to you in the form of a talking head.
Obviously such a thing would be a very cool feature for my previously mentioned external cockpit! I knew that the Arduino I used in my previous blog entry was capable of driving a color LCD so I began exploring how to extract such information from the game. The games run in DOSBox, which emulates the VGA graphics standard that was common in MS-DOS games of the era of their release. Though I didn’t have much experience with this exact kind of programming, I knew the basics of how it worked from a high level: by writing pixel color data to a reserved portion of memory, the graphics card would read this exact data back to display to the user’s screen.
Things were a lot simpler back then. The CPU would do all the work of rendering a bitmap and then write it to this reserved memory. Though different graphics cards would offer various features, the basics were the same throughout. I knew that DOSBox must provide a similar buffer of memory for its emulation. After all, the games themselves expect there to be a buffer of memory to write to, so it must be there somewhere!
I began by doing some research on how VGA worked so I could find the data that I needed to do this. I found a wonderful website maintained by David Brackeen called 256-Color VGA Programming in C that explained so many things in a wonderful mix of technical and abstract explanation! I genuinely would not have been able to complete this step of my project without his information.
I utilized DOSBox’s debugger to view the VGA buffer (known to be at the emulated memory address of 0xA000) on an in-game screen that I knew would remain static and not change. I then was able to return to this screen in the more common non-debugger version of DOSBox and use Cheat Engine to locate the binary data in the (non-emulated) memory of DOSBox itself!
The next step was to determine the custom palette that Wing Commander 2 uses. Again, David Brackeen’s site gave me a lot of information on how to program this. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to easily determine where in memory DOSBox stores this information (although I’m sure it’s there somewhere.. It is a puzzle I am determined to solve!) I did come up with an alternate solution to the problem. I took a screen capture in DOSBox to a PNG file. Because PNG stores its palette information in the file itself, I could easily process this file using some convenient .NET classes to generate a reusable palette.
Armed with the memory address of the VGA frame buffer and the palette the game generated, I could now capture video directly from memory! I spent some time building a GUI in Visual C# to not only display these video captures, but also create a more comfortable user interface for connecting to the Arduino.
Obviously the next step would be to connect a color LCD to the Arduino and see how it works. However I haven’t yet acquired one to test. In theory, it should be able to work, though perhaps a bit slowly. The Arduino communicates with the PC over a serial connection, which is fairly slow compared to more modern technology. After doing some Googling, I was able to find that the Arduino should be capable of at least 1 Mbps, or approxmiately 125 kilobytes of data per second.
Each VDU ranges in size, depending on the ship you’re flying, but are at most 75×75 pixels, or 5.625 kilobytes each. If you have two VDUs, we’re looking at 11.25 kilobytes. The frame rate at 1 Mbps would therefore be around 10 frames per second for a live feed in a perfect world. In my research, I saw claims of up to 2 Mbps for the Arduino, but I’d have to get my hands on some hardware and do some more research to find out the capabilities.
I can’t thank David Brackeen enough for keeping this information available on the internet. MS-DOS programming is a bit of a historical artifact at this point but it’s great knowing that there are people out there keeping it alive for the rest of us.
The current source code for the Memory Reader GUI is available on my Github profile. As of this writing, I haven’t yet added the Arduino functionality to it but it will be a quick add via a commit within a day or two.